Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful for the little things.

Oh fall. It's one of my favorite times of year! The cooler weather, the leaves changing, jackets, pie, family get togethers, thanksgiving, and did I mention pie? I just love everything about fall! Especially Thanksgiving. 
Even though I absolutely love this holiday, the other day something hit me. Why is it that we, as Americans, take just this one day to truly sit back and think of everything we're thankful for. We are blessed throughout the whole year. Every single day we are blessed, yet we only think about it on one day. Yes, I know. We all do sit back every now and then and are truly thankful for the people or things around us. But why don't we do that everyday? God has taken the time to actually care and love for us to bless us, and yet we can't even thank Him. 
I recently helped with my college class at church by putting together Christmas shoeboxes for children in other countries who don't have enough money to get a Christmas. We watched a video of the kids receiving these boxes and you should have seen the looks they had. They were so thankful and they looked as if they had been given the whole world. All over a shoebox that contained a handful of items. Items us Americans have and use every single day. How blessed we are, yet we take it all for granted. 


I want to start taking each and every moment I am given as a blessing. I want to be thankful for everything I have and the people around me. If a child in another country can be forever grateful over a tiny shoebox, I can certainly be thankful for everything in my life. 


God has been working on my heart for a while now, and He is truly teaching me how to be thankful for the little things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment